Monday, March 23, 2020

Mosaic Knitting - Keep on Trying! (Designing Your Own Projects)

Mosaic knitting is such a fun technique. Working with only one color at time makes it easy to do color-work knitting. Designing your own mosaic-knitting projects can be easy and fun, too.

This brief tutorial explains how I designed my "Moose and Squirrel - My Moose Hero" mosaic-knitted towel pattern by using templates for copying and pasting dark-colored and light-colored areas in Microsoft "Excel."

You could use similar steps in other spreadsheet programs like Apple "Numbers" or Google "Sheets" to do the same things.

(Google "Sheets" is a free program on line - you can read about it at https://www.google.com/sheets/about/)

If you're already familiar with mosaic knitting, you know how each color is used, one at a time, for two rows. (If you're new to mosaic knitting, I recommend J.G. Miller's tutorial, "Mosaic Charts Explained," free to download on Ravelry.)

I will be talking about mosaic garter-stitch in this tutorial; in a future tutorial, I'll talk about mosaic stockinette-stitch.


Here are two charts for mosaic garter-stitch, made with 1s and 0s and "conditional formatting":




In this chart, the background is light and the foreground dots are dark. Each light-colored row in the chart is knitted across in the light-colored yarn for two rows.

The "dotted" rows are worked with knit stitches for the dark dots and slipped stitches for the light background in between the dots.





In this chart, the background is dark and the foreground dots are light. Each dark-colored row in the chart is knitted across in the dark-colored yarn for two rows.

The "dotted" rows are worked with knit stitches for the light dots and slipped stitches for the dark background in between the dots.








By copying and pasting from one chart to the other, you can "paint" a design. Here's an example.


Copying the elements from one chart and repeatedly pasting into the other chart let's you create shapes, as long as you paste elements in line with their matching rows and columns. 

Note: these Excel mosaic coaster templates will be free on line through my Ravelry store soon.

For "Moose Hero," I "sketched" in large blocks of dark color for my Moose's body, face, and antlers. Then I added his top hat, his magic bunny, and details for his eyes and his tuxedo coat.



I took my time and worked with my Moose until his arms, legs, and feet were in a proportion I liked before I knitted a sample to test my design.

"Moose Hero" has meaning for me because, no matter how many times he tried and failed in the past, he tried again and "Pulled a rabbit out of his hat!"



His "Squirrel Buddy" has been a design challenge for me, but I'll "Keep on trying!"



If you would like to knit your own "Moose Hero," the pattern is available for immediate download in my Ravelry store:

          https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/moose-and-squirrel---moose-hero


The pattern includes written instructions, helpful tutorial links, full and expanded charts and complete row-by-row stitch counts.

You may use the pattern to knit for yourself, for charity, or for sale (please credit Janet Bailey Designs for the pattern).

You may not sell the pattern or give it away. Thank you for supporting my designs!

I hope you will enjoy knitting and using your own "Moose Hero" towel!












No comments:

Post a Comment